THE QUEER SHORT FILM FUND
The Queer Short Film Fund was set up to facilitate annual development and production of Queer Film Projects that originate from Germany. Submissions are accepted for documentary, narrative, animated or experimental projects that are queer in content and or form. Projects should ideally challenge and question normative perspectives and simultaneously broaden their vision to topics beyond traditional LGBTQIA+ representation of the mainstream niche market.
The fund consists of a cash prize of 1,500 €, donated by XPOSED, a voucher for filming equipment worth 2,000 €, provided by 25p* cine support, two days of Grading – including Conforming – with additional creation of a DCP & Web Screener worth 3,000€, provided by Planemo. In addition, the fund is accompanied by a mentoring programme: An industry expert advises the winner in five sessions from script development to the production phase and post-production. We are delighted to have found another partner for this year’s Queer Short Film Fund in MUBI Germany. In addition to the prizes mentioned above, MUBI will provide one-year VIP subscriptions for the five finalists of the Film Fund.
- The Applicant must be the copyright holder of the project.
- The Applicant must have made at least 1 short film to be eligible.
- The Applicant must live in Germany.
- Student projects are eligible, as long as they retain the rights of the film.
- Projects must be no longer than 10 minutes in duration.
- Projects can be in any film/video/other format.
DEADLINES & DATES
- Submissions – Extended Deadline May 21st, 2023
- Semi-finalist pre-selection notification – May 30th, 2023
- Announcement of the Semi-finalists – June 11th, 2023
- Semi-finalist public pitch – June 16th, 2023
- Winner Announcement at Lolly Awards – June 18th, 2023
To submit your project, please email through your submission with the following required materials to filmfund@xposedfilmfestival.
(please include a link to download all materials underneath your Project Synopsis)
- a one pager – that should include, title, synopsis, project length, contact details and short biography of the director and key creatives.
- a script – created in final draft format, delivered in pdf format.
- a visual document – delivered as a pdf document.
- a budget – delivered in either excel or pdf.
- a page of links – to directors and or key creatives past work.
- all materials must be provided or translated into German or English.
XPOSED assembles a selection committee that will review every application, preview the previous works of the filmmakers, and select the semi-finalists. The semi finalists are then invited to a public pitching session where they will present their projects to the Lolly Awards Jury, which is made up of producers, directors and other experts in the queer film industry. The jury will deliberate and announce the recipient of the fund at the annual Lolly Awards Ceremony, held during the evening of the last festival day.
- The 1st Queer Short Film Fund was received by: Doireann O’Malley for the project PROTOTYPES
- The 2nd Queer Short Film Fund was received by: Zara Zandieh for the project THE SEAS RUNS THROUGH MY VEINS
- The 3rd Queer Short Film Fund was received by: Pol Merchan for the project PIRATEBOYS
- The 4th Queer Short Film Fund was received by: Popo Fan for the project BEER! BEER!
- The 5th Queer Short Film Fund was received by: Tonina Matamalas for the project AMIGAS… MUY AMAIGAS
- The 6th Queer Short Film Fund was received by: Sarnt Utamachote for the project SONIC REVERBS
- The 7th Queer Short Film Fund was received by: João Carvalho for the project WAIT YOUR TURN
- The 8th Queer Short Film Fund was received by: Eric Bitencourt for the project UNCANNY HOME