Thursday, August 5th, from 6:00 pm until 8:15 pm at Berlinische Galerie
+++ To participate in the event, proof of a negative antigen test, full vaccination or recovery is required. +++
In partnership with the Berlinische Galerie, XPOSED is showing six short films from the festival’s early years and the 15th anniversary edition (11–15 August 2021). Formally, geographically and thematically, the works represent a broad spectrum: compilations like “Playback” about the drag and trans* community of the 1980s in Cordoba, Argentina, a portrait of the Ghanaian performance artist “Va-Bene”, and the audio-visual essay “Galatée à l’Infini” about the subjugation of the female body. Here, physicality is a key to liberation. It is the starting point not only for a search for new forms of expression, but also for breaking free, as with the immersive poetic reflections on queerness in “Journey to the CharBagh” and “Pirate Boys”. Self-determination and appropriation are carefully celebrated in “Batería”, where a lonely camera roams a very special cruising area – and longs for utopian spaces in the present.
The programme is drawn from the online project “Out and About: Queer Visibilities in the Collection”. The screening, followed by an artist talk, is a prequel to the 15th anniversary edition of the “XPOSED Queer Film Festival Berlin” (11–15 August 2021).
Programme (click here for film descriptions):
- Brenda Jorde: „Va-Bene“, Ghana/Germany, 2018, 11 min, English
- Damian Sainz: „Batería“, Kuba, 2016, 16 min, Spanish with subtitles in English
- Pol Merchan: „Pirate Boys“, Germany, 2018, 13 min, English
- Julia Maura, Mariangela Pluchino, Ambra Reijnen, Maria Chatzi, Fátima Flores Rojas: „Galatée à l’infini“, Spain, 2017, 17 min, French with subtitles in English
- Agustina Comedi: „Playback“, Argentina, 2019, 14 min, Spanish with subtitles in English
- Abdullah Qureshi: „Journey to the CharBagh“, Finland/Pakistan, 2019, 17 min, Punjabi with subtitles in English
Followed by: Q&A with Pol Merchan („Pirate Boys“)
Tickets: 3 Euro, Online Tickets.
Admission from 5:30 pm.
This film screening has been organised jointly with and thanks to the kind support of the Berlinische Galerie.